Rightly quoted by KushandWisdom “Words are free. It’s how you use them, that may cost you”. The words are the most imperative tool for any writer and the usage of an attractive vocabulary in your content can actually make a lot of difference to the message you share. Just like junk food, which adds up to calories but offer no nourishment to the body, in the same way, poor use of vocabulary offers no substance and meaning to listeners and readers – leaving them confused and inattentive towards your content.
Research studies have shown that in the past years, Vocabulary has been overlooked for long as an aspect of learning in a language, but today a rich vocabulary is seen as a more powerful tool for writers to scale up their writing skills.
Benefits of Having a Rich Vocabulary
– Effective Communication
While expressing and communicating our emotions, thoughts or ideas to people around us or to our target readers, sometimes we are unable to communicate properly and can’t make readers understand our motive, which can do more harm than good to the message we are willing to share. In that case, a good command on your vocabulary is of great help and enables us to say “What we actually mean”.
– Helps in Expanding Knowledge Horizon
Good vocabulary will also increase your knowledge about diverse educational fields like legal, medical or some professional lingos as it helps you to stay proactive in your approach and also help in improving your writing abilities in numerous fields.
– Makes Content Interesting
A rich vocabulary knowledge helps you in shaping your thoughts well, as the ability to select just the right word enables you to share your message in a more effective way with your target audience. The repetition of words and phrases make the content boring and lacks interest, that is why having a huge bank of words is always a great idea.
– Improves fluency in the Language
Rich vocabulary helps you in exploring the language swiftly and also improve your writing and communication skills.
Tools to help you develop Strong Vocabulary Skills
Trying online tools to improve your English vocabulary skills is one of the quickest way available. Here’s the list of few popular tools and websites which you can make use of:
- Visuwords – It is an amazing web-based visual dictionary tool. It helps you to find word meanings and the association between the words.
- Dictionary.com – Dictionary.com is one of the popular online dictionaries which not only provides word meanings and audio pronunciation but also includes information like word origins, idioms, quotes and example sentences for better understanding.
- Thesaurus.com – This website offers an elaborate meaning of words with usage as well as synonyms and antonyms for the word.
- Merriam-Webster – This online dictionary and thesaurus is also a very popular online tool to improve English vocabulary skills. In this, one can easily look up for new words, their meaning, pronunciation etc. It also provides trending words on a regular basis which further helps you to improve vocabulary.
- Wordsmith.org – This online platform is especially designed for word lovers. It provides new trending words and deliver them to your inbox everyday in order to help you increase your word bank.
Once you’ll have your word bank ready you may want to throw these words in your content, but now as we know the importance of having a rich vocabulary we should also learn to use them appropriately. So, try these fun tools and spruce up your vocabulary skills.