Being a writer one might think that writing a resume while applying for a job as a writer would be an easy task. But trust me; you will be biting your lips when you attempt writing a resume as it is one of the most herculean tasks a writer will ever face. Even if you are a professional writer and an erudite in a particular field of writing such as academic, technical or travel writing, a resume is an entirely different ball game. A resume may not showcase your delicate and artistic skills of writing but still it is one of the most imperative entities when it comes to getting a freelance writing job. Let us help you to consolidate your career as a writer by giving you useful tips for writing a resume.
Also, read How to Get Writers For Your Blog?
Showcase your work experience
Never take a back seat when showing your skills and experience while applying for the job either by resume or a portfolio. While preparing a resume, make sure you highlight your most enticing and skillful work experience rather than making it too complicated to read by filling up your resume with useless content and details.
As your resume will make your first impression, never forget to include the following points when writing a resume.
- Highlight your work experience with any company having big name and fame, even if it was a small project as it is something that will draw the attention of clients and employers.
- When applying for a job make sure it is most relevant to your skills and experience you had as it will help you to get a job even more easily.
- When showcasing your work, don’t just make it insipid and monotonous resume. You are a writer, use your skills. Do not just write a resume but tell them the story of your work experience. In this way, you will be able to get maximum attention and a chance to get your desired job or project.
- Always try to include figures and facts. If you have written good articles in any newspapers and magazine that were eye catchy and any blog posts that got thousands or millions of reviews, link them in your resume as it will be the best way to showcase your work.
Also, read How to Get Writers For Your Blog?
Don’t make yourself unrealistically right when writing a resume; you can be creative, not pompous. Promote skills and expertise that you have and you enjoy performing. Even if you are a fictitious writer, try to control your imagination!
- Be honest about your skills and work experience. It is alright to have fewer skills but with an honest experience. But make sure whatever skills you have, that you are a master of it.
- Never lie about your work experience as a client can always corroborate your work experience from previous companies you worked for.
- Try to be relevant and make sure skills that client requires are most suitable to yours.
And yes never try to be over-qualified and over-educated when writing a resume. You know what I mean!
Your online contribution
It is an imperative to show your online presence in your resume as it will be a direct portfolio of your work. Make sure your resume covers the links of your online work experience. Never forget to include the name of websites you work for, after all, they are also quite similar to physical organization wherein you worked before.
As I mentioned before, highlight your most reviewed posts and articles on the internet as an online publisher and add best comments about your post in the different text boxes in your resume.
Besides the above tips, make sure you always include all of your achievements, awards, and membership of any professional writer’s society, if you have any.
You can create your online web portfolio that is highly integrated with your resume and showcase most of your work.
As a writer, most of you have a basic idea about resume format and different templates & themes you can use. You could use the following styles –
- A chronological resume- as it organizes and arranges the information chronologically such as your work history and achievements. You can download chronological resume template from the web.
- A Functional resume- as it divides every piece of information in different part of the page according to the way you want to organize the information.
There are many other resume formats and templates you can download such as the combination of the above two. According to your wish, you can arrange the information and make your resume more enticing to your clients.
Also, read SEO is Content Marketing- Know Why and How?
Is the content helpful to you? Comment below with your valuable feedback..!!