Every content marketer faces this dilemma of how to get on Google First Page. Is there a fixed formula to achieve this ambition? I am afraid there is no set formula such as A + B = C. If there had been one, today every person would have achieved the first rank easily. Many factors determine your Google ranking. This blog attempts to dissect this information and present a plan that can help how to rank higher on Google.
Why Do You Need To Rank #1 in Google?
This is a valid question. The real reason is that no one remembers who comes second. When people do not know the name of the second man who set foot on the moon when only twelve men have ever done so, how do you expect the second position to have any significance?
The same applies to business as well. The first rank or rather the first page on Google is the most important one. There is a belief that if you cannot find the solution on the first page of Google, then the solution does not exist at all. Many people have gone on to comment that the best place to hide a dead body would be Page 2 of Google. This emphasizes the fact that you have to be on the first page of Google to get noticed.
What Do You Do To Get Top Google Search Ranking?
We do not wish to confuse people with technical terms. We shall see the four simple ways that can help your website to land on the Google front page. We shall break this down into four achievable tasks.
1. Change Your Content
- Quality does matter: There is no alternative for quality content. This is one of the time tested methods to get a page rank Google. Hiring a professional to do the job should be the right way to go about it. The quality of the website, as well as the quality of the text, matters a lot. You need people to read through your content and stay on your page for as long as possible. Delivering quality content will definitely be of great help in this regard.
- Originality matters a lot as well: Why does the original Mona Lisa painting cost a fortune when you can have hundreds of duplicates in the market. The only reason is that it is original and the rest are not. The same thing applies to content. The original content always is always of a higher value than duplicate or plagiarized ones. In fact, Google’s algorithms can detect such content and dock the errant website immediately.
- Images say a lot: A single picture can say what a thousand words cannot. However, it is also important to use quality images in your post. Secondly, your images should supplement your text as otherwise, it will be of no use.
- Keywords have a say: Post the 2012 Penguin Update many people feel that keywords do not have much significance. In fact, it is not so. Keywords do have their importance. Using the right keywords at the right time can always work to your advantage. Overdoing causes the problems. Keywords do help you to get on top. Use a good tool like Google’s Analytics to choose the best keyword combination.
- Relevance is important: Your content should be relevant to the subject. The Google search algorithm places great importance on the relevance of the content. The more relevant your content is, the higher it will rank on the Google search page.
2. Change Your Code
- The importance of a good domain name: “What’s in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.” This logic does not work in Google. A domain name is of great significance. A domain name like venkatanarasimharajuvaripeta.com will not get you anywhere. (By the way, Venkatanarasimharajuvaripeta is the longest name for a railway station anywhere in the world) People will forget the same before they manage to read the name. Try to use specific instead of generic names, especially for the subpages.
- Meta tags and descriptions: Google allows you the liberty to use the keyword in the Meta tag and description. Take advantage of this fact and try to fit at least one keyword into the Meta tag. This is a good way of getting a Google organic ranking.
- Make use of headers intelligently: You can use the keyword in the headers as well. Use this opportunity to have headers in the article. However, remember to have only one H1 header. You subsequent paragraphs should have either an H2 or an H3 header.
- Use Alt Tags: These are very simple tips for a content writer to follow. The use of header tags and alt tags are elementary. However, one must adhere to the laid down rules properly.
3. Swim With the Tide
- Backlinks are important: You will often hear a content marketer say that he has taken care of everything mentioned in the above two points. The question is how to get my website on Google’s first page. Attract quality backlinks. You can achieve the same by doing some quality cross promotion. The quality of the backlinks does matter a lot. Spam can send your website spiraling downwards.
- Hop on to the social media bandwagon: Social media is all over us today. You cannot get anywhere without involving social media. Hence, it is better to swim with the tide and use social media to your advantage. Use the likes and shares received on your social media. The trick is to maintain contact and interact with your customers.
- Update your knowledge: The technology is moving ahead at a considerable speed. You have to update your knowledge on a regular basis. Similarly, update your posts or else they become stale. Who loves stale food anyway?
4. Take Google’s Help
- Use Google Analytics tools: Google can help you maintain your Google organic Learn to use the Keywords tool. You can find this website tool in the Google AdSense website. This tool will enable you to know what other people are searching for in this world. You can manufacture your content to suit their interests. This website will also give you an idea of the competition. You get information about the alternative keywords as well. Hence, take Google’s help to get a good Google search ranking.
- Use Google Trends: Consumer interests change over time. Be aware of the latest trends and tweak your content accordingly. That which worked for you in 2012 will definitely not do so in 2017. Use tools like Google Trends to understand the changing market.
- Use Google Maps: Adding geographic locations to your business. It is always easy to secure a Google first page rank in your localized network.
- Use YouTube: You have just seen that a picture can say what a thousand words cannot. Similarly, a video can say what a thousand pictures cannot. Hence, it is always a great idea to upload your video on Google. Many people use the YouTube search engine for their searches. An informational and education video can work wonders.
- Cheaters never prosper: Never try out any Black Hat SEO techniques to improve your ranking. Your Google search algorithm is smart enough to detect any such activity. Google is very strict in such matters. Once caught, they have the powers to ban the website for an indefinite period.
Advantages of Securing a High Google Search Ranking
- Improve your business: Research shows that about 75% of internet users do not go beyond the first page of Google. Under such circumstances, you have to imagine who will read your content if your website does not figure on the first few pages of the Google search engine.
- Reduce costs: Online marketing is supposedly the most inexpensive way of marketing. If your website secures the first-page rank, the chances of people viewing the same are greater. Hence, you need not have to spend on other marketing costs. This can add up to your profit figure in the end.
- Get a bigger reach: You will be able to reach a larger section of the people when your website ranks on the first page of Google. This will automatically lead to the higher volume of sales and thereby higher profit as well.
- Gain the trust of the community: No one can ever guarantee a first page ranking on Google. It takes a lot of hard work to get to that stage. Hence, if you have managed to reach this position, you have something trustworthy in you. This trust is a very important factor in business.
This is a world obsessed with numbers. You have rankings everywhere in the world. In such a situation, achieving a position fit to rank on the first page of Google is important for the business. You have just seen how to get on the First page of Google in 4 simple steps.
So what’s your take on grabbing the #1 rank on Google? Do share your thoughts or suggestions.